he Ashanti Regional Students Representative Council celebrates its 20 years anniversary in grand style from the 28th of January through to the 6th of March, 2017. Heralding the celebrations will be the Literary Group Preliminary Competition slated for the 28th of January at various centers.The three centers of the 2017 Literary Group Prelims have been released. The schools in each zonal center will battle for qualification to the Grand Finale. The Categories to be contested for include drama, choreography, traditional dance, live band music, comedy and poetry.
FORMAT OF THE COMPETITION.
- Preliminary Stage.
Date: Saturday, 28th January, 2017.
Venues: Kumasi Girls SHS, Effiduase Sen. High Comm. Sch and Kumasi Anglican SHS.
The preliminaries competition brings a minimum of 30 member schools to a particular venue.
- Qualification to Grand Finale
The first three (3) schools in comedy, drama and traditional dance qualify to the final event
The first four (4) schools in poetry and live band music qualify for the final
The first five (5) schools in choreography qualify for the grand finale
- Grand Finale.
Date: Saturday 11th February, 2017.
Venue: Kumasi Academy SHS.
Time: 9:00am (Lateness should be avoided at all cost)
Choreography: 15 schools
Drama: 9 schools
Live Band Music: 12 schools
Traditional Dance: 9 schools
Comedy: 9 schools
Poetry: 12 schools
NB: The registration form should be completed and submitted with the registration fee before
Performance are excluded from payment but will be strictly checked with the submitted list
Wednesday 25th January, 2017.
Deadline for submission of drama and poetry scripts, and names of all performers is Wednesday 25th January, 2017
All competitors are to avoid the use of:
- Knife or any sharp object
- Gate fee: Preliminaries – Ghc 3.00
Grand Finale – Ghc 5.00
- Topics for Drama and Poetry:
- One nation with a common destiny; uniting political forces for greater achievement
- Student’s demonstrations and its consequences.
- Social Media craze; dangers of Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter etc craze for the youth
- Current trends in examination malpractice, a threat to Ghana’s future.
- ARSRC @ 20. Projecting the concept of students activism and advocacy
Rules for Drama
- Maximum of 10 minutes for DRAMA.
- Drama should be based on the given topics.
- Criteria for judging: stage ethics (on and behind the stage), projection, creativity, costume, coherence, and coordination, message and general acting. Cast should not exceed twelve (12) persons.
Names and roles of all performers, background sounds etc should be submitted with the registration form by Wednesday 25th January, 2017
- Note: No sharp objects like knife and fire, blood etc.
Rules for the Choreography
- Maximum of 5 minutes
- Participants are to choose one of the three options (Choreography, Dance drama, Dance formation excluding Traditional/Cultural Dance). Same criteria will be used for scoring.
- Performers should not exceed ten (10).
Names of all performers should be submitted with the registration form on Wednesday 25th January, 2017
- Music for choreography should be submitted to the office on Wednesday, 25th 2017.
- Criteria for Judging: Stage craft, Uniformity, Message, Creativity, and Costume.
Rules for Poetry
- Maximum of 4 minutes for each presentation.
- A maximum of two (2) persons are to present the poem.
- Name(s) of all performers should be submitted with the registration form on Wednesday, 25th 2017.
- Criteria for Judging: Delivery, Consistency, Articulation, Fluency, Message, Stage Movement and Costume.
The Poem should be on one of the five topics listed above
Rules for Live Band Music
- Maximum of 5 minutes for each performance.
- Names and roles of all performers including instrumentalist should be submitted with the registration form on Wednesday, 25th 2017.
- Performers should be at most three (3 musicians) (Instrumentalist not exceeding 5).
- Criteria for Judging: Delivery, Instrumentation, Audience involvement, Voice, Stage Usage and Costume, coordination, stage performance.
Rules for Comedy
- Maximum of 4 minutes for the performance.
- Participants are to choose one of the three options: Stand-up Comedy, Farce, Sentimental Comedy, Satirical Comedy, Black Comedy, etc.
- There should be maximum two persons for Stand-up comedy
- Orderly and clarity of message will be accorded.
- Criteria for Judging: Consistency, Creativity, Message, stage control, Stage and Costume.
- No profanity; poetry will be halted if found to be profane
Rules for Traditional Dance
- Maximum of 5 minutes for the performance.
- The dance should be purely traditional or cultural from any part of Ghana, Africa or the globe
- There should be maximum 8 dancers and four drummers in case of live drum performance. CD/Recorded music allowed
- Criteria for Judging: Consistency, Coherence, Creativity, Message, stage control, Stage and Costume, Originality.
Check for more details on www.arsrconline.com/entertainment